Wrinkle-formation is an individual process and largely depends on the lifestyle, skin type, gender and even the level of emotionality. After all, expression wrinkles (facial wrinkles) are the very first wrinkles that form on the skin of a person. The more active the facial expression, the earlier wrinkles form. Poor eyesight or wearing glasses frequently advance formation of facial expression.
The first wrinkles are formed by 20-25 years, and by 30-45 years they go deep.
Facial and static wrinkles
The first expression wrinkles we stat to notice as early as in 20-25 years – in the upper third of the face (around the eyes or on the nose), or at the corners of the mouth – from a smile. By the age of 30-45, expression wrinkles deepen, become more noticeable, and no longer disappear when the facial muscles relax. At the same time, static wrinkles with different depth begin to form – the first signs of photo- and genetic ageing of the skin. Static wrinkles are formed in the forehead, cheeks, neck.
Expression wrinkles are also called dynamic wrinkles, because they are formed by movement of muscles. Initially, these wrinkles are thin lines on the skin, which are noticeable only within certain facial expression. For example, horizontal lines appear on the forehead when raising eyebrows and vertical lines are formed between the eyebrows when the person frequently reduces eyebrows to the bridge of the nose while falling into a muse.
First of all, methods of influencing the muscle are used to get rid of wrinkles on the skin since the main reason for the formation of facial wrinkles is muscle activity. Our experts from Elysium Beauty Clinic, recommends the injection of botulinum toxin as one of the most effective ways to control increased expression activity. Injections relax the tissues, leading to their tightening and smoothing. Skin pinch caused by expression wrinkles are eliminated by replenishing injections, peelings, mesotherapy and biorevitalization.
Static wrinkles are formed as a result of age and gravitational changes of muscles and facial tissues, loss of elasticity and firming of the skin, reduction of subcutaneous fat. The ageing effect under the influence of various factors (ultraviolet, hormonal and genetic changes)is seemingly”fixed”, leading to formation of static wrinkles. Procedures enabling to reactivate the skin moisturize the skin on the surface and deeper layers are used to get rid of them. Our medical practitioners are, in such cases advise to use instrumental methods (photo-rejuvenation and laser resurfacing), and as well chemical peelings, wrinkle filling and rejuvenation injection.
Are you looking for a Toronto clinic that eliminates wrinkles with Botox? Elysium Beauty is here for you!
Ask your practitioner about injections of deadly poison in the hope of a rejuvenating effect … It sounds doubtful, but that’s exactly what you should do if you want to get rid of facial wrinkles and lines.
Botox® is a medicine produced by Allergan (USA).
The active ingredient in Botox is purified botulinum toxin and weakened botulinum toxin.
In cosmetic area the Botox and its counterpart – Dysport are used to eliminate mimic (facial) wrinkles. Exactly mimic, the appearance of which is due to physical activity of mimic muscles.
At a tension of these muscles the skin is going to fold. Over the time, they no longer fully straightened and wrinkles are formed. Their appearance is most typical in the upper part of the face: forehead, between eyebrows, around the eyes.
The procedure of subcutaneous or intramuscular injection of botulinum toxin is sometimes known as botox, which has been one of the most popular methods of non-surgical facial rejuvenation since the 90s of the last century.
Why is it popular? What is the composition of the drug and how it works? Where and how frequently it might be injected? How soon the effect will appear and how long it will last? If there are any contraindications, complications and side effects?
What is botulinum toxin and how it controls wrinkles?
The main active substance of Botox and all its analogs is the botulinum neurotoxin type A. In any outstanding concentration it is one of the most dangerous poisons in the world, but in microscopic doses, its effect is easy to control and direct to the right focus. It is extracted by a laboratory method from Clostridium botulinum bacteria for application in cosmetology, and then it is stabilized and purified from protein contaminants.
When the drug is in muscle tissue it blocks nerve transmission, and as a result, the target muscles relax and no longer reducing, and the nearby skin gets smoothed. This is a unique mechanism, and there is no similar one in aesthetic medicine today, however, its action has very distinct limits:
- Only facial wrinkles can be eliminated with Botox – such facial skin deformities that appear due to the constant activity of nearby muscle fibers (primarily lines on the forehead, between the eyebrows and out of the corners of the eyes).
- The effect of injections preserves for about 6 months and all this time the activity of the treated muscles will be reduced, and hence the process of skin pinch appearance will temporarily stop.
- Botulinum toxin cannot control other types of wrinkles, in particular, ones that are associated with individual features of the skull structure and the distribution of subcutaneous fat (nasolabial, nasolacrimal canal), as well as folds formed from stretched excess skin. In these cases, only surgical lifting or wrinkle filling with fillers will provide the necessary effect.
When and where to inject it? Main indications
Any part of the face can be smoothed out to some extent with Botox, and the best result is noted when treating the upper face. It is mainly used to remove:
- horizontal wrinkles on the forehead and vertical lines between the eyebrow;
- “crow’s feet” – small wrinkles in the area around the eyes;
- creases on the dorsum of the nose;
- melomental fold (“marionette lines “);
- Fibrotic fold in the neck.
Also, the correctly directed decrease in muscle tone resulting from such injections allows to:
- Correct a shape and/or height of the eyebrows’ position;
- lift slightly the nose tip and narrow its wings;
- lift slightly the lowered lips edges;
- visually elongate the chin;
- Remove blepharospasm and other spastic effects to eliminate the face asymmetry caused by them.
How many units are needed?
The amount of Botox in the vial is measured not in grams but in UNITS (units of action). The service price is based on the amount of the used drug. Since the price is an important factor, you can roughly estimate how many units of Botox will be required for the correction of wrinkles:
horizontal creases of the forehead: 15-20 units.+ forehead lifting :4-10 units
glabellar folds: 8-25 units.
crow’s feet: 8-16 units+ lifting the lateral part of the eyebrow +mesobotox :5-10 units.
Botox-lifting of the corners of the mouth: 4-20 Units.
wrinkles of the upper lip: 2-4 units.
the masseter muscle ( as indicated):10-40 units.
lift the tip of the nose (under indications, if age-related):2-6 units
mentalis (her reinforced work, leads to the formation of transverse wrinkles on the chin):2-4 units.
“Nefertiti lifting “:5-20 units.
neck :4-20 units.
mesobotox: 2-15 units.
More accurate information you will learn on the advice of a doctor.
When you will see the results?
On average, the facial muscles relax in 5-7 days. The maximum effect is usually achieved in two weeks.
But there are options due to the individual characteristics of the organism, when the toxin begins to act already on the second day, and in some cases it takes a month.
There are people insensitive to botulinum toxin. Such immunity is rare, less than 1% of people. It can occur in people with a previous history of botulism or treated with high doses of Botox for medical reasons.
Another popular cosmetic trend is injections of botulinum toxin in the palm, foot and axillary crease: it is the method to block transpiration. Such procedure is usually carried out before summer period, and it is recommended year-round for patients with polyhidrosis.
From what age can the Botox be injected? Not earlier than adulthood, though it is better not spin out the time. Beauticians are sure that it should be already started when the first signs of facial wrinkles appear on the face – some notice them in 20, others – closer to 30 years. This “early start” will eventually preserve much longer the original smoothness of the skin, because the treated muscles will not dip and wrinkle skin during the time-course of drug.
How is the procedure performed?
Botox should be injected by a specialist who has been trained to work with this type of medication. The key to success is correctly chosen dosage and injection points. A serious error at this stage is dangerous for the patient as minimum due to deformed face for the coming months and sometimes serious health problems, so a specialist should be chosen with a high responsibility.
- A skin prior to the procedure is thoroughly cleansed – all cosmetics, dust particles, etc. must be removed from the skin in order to prevent dirt penetration into the wound from the injections.
- The doctor then marks the site of future injections with a special marker and applies the anesthetic cream on them. Though the botox is injected by a small insulin syringe with a thin needle, nevertheless such manipulation is still painful enough, especially in sensitive areas around the eyes and near the lips.
- Anesthesia will act after about 20 minutes. Beautician usually prepares tools at this time: he (she) opens the package of the drug, dilutes it with saline and withdraws it with syringes (there may be several syringes if it is supposed to work with several areas of the face).
- It’s time for injections. The required volume of botulinum toxin is injected at each previously marked sites. At this time, the patient will need to frown, raise his eyebrows, or otherwise strain the target facial muscles, so that it is easier for the doctor to get into them.
- When all the planned areas are injected, the skin is wiped off with an antiseptic (usually – chlorhexidine). Then a cold compress is applied to it to reduce the inevitable swelling and bruising.
Immediately after the completion of the procedure, you can go back to your normal routine, with minor restrictions. During the first few hours, it will be necessary to keep the vertical position of the head and more often strain the facial muscles so that the drug is distributed as best as possible in the tissues. The injection sites for the first few days should not be scrubbed or exposed to ultraviolet light, cosmetics, or skin treatment aids. In addition, the next couple of weeks it will be necessary to refrain from visiting the sauna, swimming pool and gym, restrict alcohol drinking, as well as products that can cause accumulation of fluid in the body.
When does the Botox start to act and how long will it last?
- The first changes can appear in a few hours after the procedure. After 2-4 days they will be clearly visible, and the final result will be formed after about 2 weeks.
- If the results seem to be insufficient or not very successful for the patient and the beautician (for example, there will be a slight asymmetry, which is normal and is not considered as a complication), an additional corrective session with a small dose of the drug is applied.
- The final effect of Botox preserves for 4-6 months, while the nerve and muscle fibers are gradually restoring their performance. After this period, the procedure can be repeated in a full range.
Occasionally the patients develop tolerance after several courses of botulin therapy: in order to achieve the same result, a much higher dosage is required, and its duration is reduced by 1.5-2 times. The opinions of experts on the mechanism of this phenomenon vary: some believe that the body “gets used to the toxin and stops responding to it properly, others – that the nerve signals to the target muscles find alternative peripheral ways that are activated due to blockage of the main ones.
It is noted that in most cases this happens due to regular Botox injection more than 1 time in 4 months, as well as due to frequent repetitions of the procedure with small doses, which forms a “vaccination effect”. In order to restore the sensitivity of the body to the drug at the original level, it is necessary to make a long (1 year or more) break with injections.
What things can and cannot be combined with Botox?
- The use of botulinum toxin together with hyaluronic acid preparations can significantly enhance the overall aesthetic effect of both procedures. Normally, facial wrinkles are firstly eliminated, and then after assessing the result, the remaining unevenness of the face is corrected by fillers. A more experienced practitioner can do this procedure within the same session.
- During the month before and after Botox injections, it is better to exclude any aggressive skin procedures – chemical, mechanical and laser peelings, plastic surgery, etc.
- In order to preserve the effect, after botulinum therapy, machine treatment is not recommended, which directly or indirectly restore the connections of nerve endings with muscle fibers. These include, in particular, magnetotherapy, micro-current treatment, galvanotherapy, electrical stimulation, ultrasound therapy, and etc.
The main factors disabling injection procedures with Botox are:
- individual intolerance of the selected drug or its individual components;
- inflammatory processes, skin damage at the injection site;
- pregnancy and lactation period;
- diseases associated with clotting disorder;
- adverse neuromuscular effect;
- high degree myopia;
- strong drugs use (In particular antibiotics and antiaggregant);
- autoimmune disease;
- chronic lung abnormalities;
- any acute diseases and conditions;;
- Age by 18 years (in general, the use of the drug is possible from 2 years, but only for medical reasons).
In fact, about 0.1-0.2% of people have full immunity to the action of Botox – there will be no any harm to them from the procedure, and there will be no result either.
Potential complications and side effects
Cosmetology injections with botulinum toxin, despite the fact that botulinum toxin in its pure form is an extremely dangerous poison, is considered as one of the safest procedures with a predictable result. Nevertheless, unwanted sequels are quite possible, especially when the injection technique and drug dosage are failed. Most of them are not of serious hazard to health, but can be the reason for a lot of unnecessary experiences:
- Expressed facial asymmetry (ptosis of the upper eyelid, drooping of the edges of the lips or eyes, heterotrophy, etc.) it appears after excessive or inaccurate administration.
- Severe bruises, pain feeling and swelling at injected sites.
- Lumps in the form of eminence or bumps formed due to an improper distribution of the drug in the tissues, and as a result, some parts of the muscles are blocked, while others are not.
- Unnatural facial expressions, when the face looks like a mask.
- The appearance of “compensatory” wrinkles, formed due to the fact that the work of paralyzed areas is performed by the muscles located nearby.
- More details concerning how to avoid these problems and what to do if they did happen, read in the article “Complications and side effects of Botox.”
Smoothing wrinkles and simultaneous fully preserving the activity of facial muscles can be achieved by special technique of Papular botulinum toxin injection, adopted from mesotherapy
The duration of effect
After the first treatment the facial wrinkles smoothen for 4-6 months at average. Then the nerve-muscle connection, blocked by the Botox, restored, muscle fibers begin to shrink again, and their wrinkles are back. Therefore, to maintain the permanent absence of wrinkles it is necessary to repeat the injection about six months later.
Usually, after 3-5 sessions, the duration of absence of wrinkles is increased to 10-12 months.
After the termination of Botox the physical activity of mimic muscles is restored. But during the time when the muscles were artificially relaxed, the person wean from the habit permanently knit the brow or squint the eyes. Therefore, the wrinkles that appeared due to these habits may not be restored. Even if you do not repeat Botox injection.
You will be able to return to “normal” life immediately after the procedure (therefore, the Botox injections is often referred to a “cosmetology of the lunch break”). But after the injection of botulinum toxin, its distribution in the tissues for several hours. It is required more than one day for complete healing after the injections. In order for these processes have been optimally you should follow some restrictions:
do not sleep or lie down for 3-4 hours;
refrain from taking medications that affect blood clotting, use of alcohol – 1 day;
do not to touch the skin where the injection was performed – 2 days;
don’t tilt your head down for a long time: for example, to clean floors – 2 days;
do not exercise or fitness – 2 days;
avoid overheating: do not go to the bath, the sauna, do not soak, do not direct hot air from a hair dryer over your face for 10 days.
Eliminate wrinkles and achieve a youthful looking appearance. Our beauty clinic is located on the border of Toronto and Thornhill (a part of the City of Vaughan) and is a comfortable distance from downtown. Contact us for a free consultation about Botox.